Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Help and advocacy for pedestrians hit by cars and vehicles in Texas
Walking is a great way to exercise and get around. However, wherever you find pedestrians, you typically also find cars, trucks, and other vehicles. Pedestrian accidents often result in extremely serious injuries to the pedestrian, as they tend to be thrown to the ground or on the hood of the vehicle. This can happen even during low-speed collisions.
The pedestrian accident and injury attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm understand the severity of these types of accidents. Pedestrians often suffer severe and life-altering injuries when struck by a vehicle, and we know how to investigate the circumstances of your accident to hold the right party responsible. We’ll work to help you secure the compensation to which you’re entitled, while you take the time you need to recover and heal from your injuries.
Your questions, answered
- How common are pedestrian accidents in Texas?
- What are the top causes of Houston pedestrian accidents?
- What are the most dangerous times of day for pedestrians?
- What kinds of injuries result from pedestrian accidents?
- Who is liable for my Houston pedestrian accident and injuries?
- What’s the value of my Houston pedestrian injury claim?
- Is there a pedestrian accident lawyer near me?
How common are pedestrian accidents in Texas?
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintains a Pedestrian Safety Campaign for public awareness of the vulnerability of pedestrians. They report the following statistics regarding pedestrians and traffic accidents in 2020:
- 4,852 pedestrian-involved crashes and accidents
- 1,211 injuries and 731 fatalities
This is a nine percent increase in pedestrian fatalities from 2019.
What are the top causes of Houston pedestrian accidents?
The TxDOT also lists the top four reasons car accidents involving pedestrians occur:
- Pedestrians failing to yield right-of-way to motorists. Although motorists have a duty to yield to pedestrians, pedestrians have a duty to yield to motorists in certain situations as well. When walking, pedestrians should follow all marked signs to stop and yield to vehicles.
- Driver inattention. When a motorist is driving distracted or fails to notice a pedestrian, a tragic accident can result. Drivers must be alert not only for other motorists, but also for any pedestrians or bicyclists nearby, especially in heavily-trafficked areas.
- Drivers failing to yield right-of-way to pedestrians. Just as pedestrians are required to follow right-of-way signs, motorists must do so as well. Motorists owe pedestrians a higher duty of care as their vehicles are much more dangerous. Drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and intersections, and may not pass other drivers who have stopped to yield.
- Speeding. According to the TxDOT, 381 people were killed in speeding-related accidents in 2020. Because only 190 of these fatalities were drivers, that means the rest were passengers, pedestrians, and other victims. A speeding vehicle can easily lose control and seriously or critically injure anyone unlucky enough to be in the immediate vicinity, including pedestrians.
The attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can work with you to determine exactly how your accident and injuries occurred. Sometimes, it may be possible to locate witnesses who saw the accident, or locate security video to get a better understanding of what happened.
What are the most dangerous times of day for pedestrians?
A report commissioned by CarInsurance.org found that pedestrians are involved in the most fatal accidents at night. They say that the majority of these accidents occur between 6:00pm and 9:00pm, and then between 9:00pm and 12:00am. The third most dangerous time for pedestrians is between 12:00am and 3:00am. The report also notes that the most dangerous day of the week for pedestrians is Saturday.
Unsurprisingly, these are all times when visibility is low, and also when motorists are more likely to be driving while impaired.
What kinds of injuries result from pedestrian accidents?
Because a pedestrian generally has no protection from the impact of a vehicle collision, injuries tend to be severe, life-changing, or even fatal. Our Houston personal injury attorneys regularly work with victims and their loved ones hit by vehicles who have experienced some of the following injuries:
We also understand that, because these types of accidents can be violent and traumatic, victims can also suffer emotional and psychological injuries. These injuries are as legitimate and valid as physical injuries, and our lawyers work to recover compensation for both physical and mental harm resulting from your pedestrian accident.
Who is liable for my Houston pedestrian accident and injuries?
When we take your case, the first thing we do is get to work determining what happened and gathering the evidence to establish fault and liability on the part of a negligent driver. The evidence we find often shows that:
- The driver who hit you owed you a duty of care
- They breached that duty of care through their negligent actions
- Their negligence was the cause of your injuries, which caused damages and harm to you or a loved on
The attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help you hold a negligent or reckless driver accountable when they cause you harm.
What’s the value of my Houston pedestrian injury claim?
Our injury attorneys work with clients with the understanding that every case is unique according to the circumstances of their accidents and the severity of their injuries and losses. What’s important is holding the right people accountable for causing your injuries, and recovering the proper compensation for your claim. We do so through strong negotiations; however, if these prove unsuccessful, we are prepared to take your case to court. You may be eligible for the following types of compensation:
- Medical expenses, current and future
- Lost wages and future earning potential
- Physical and occupational therapy, if needed
- Damages for pain and suffering, past and future
- Damages for physical impairment and mental anguish, past and future
In cases of extreme negligence or intentional harm, our attorneys can also seek punitive damages on your behalf.
Is there a pedestrian accident lawyer near me?
You can find The Kishinevsky Law firm at 6363 Richmond Ave, Suite 207, in Houston. We offer plenty of parking, and there’s a bus stop right in front of our building. If you are too injured or disabled to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or set up a conference via telephone or Zoom. Talk to us today.
Houston pedestrian accident attorneys advocating for you
As a pedestrian, you have the right to enjoy the Houston area on foot. You also have the right to do so without worry of being struck by a car or truck. When drivers are negligent or reckless and you or a loved one suffer harm, the Houston pedestrian accident attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help. We can guide you through the legal process with compassion and confidence. And, our consultations are always free. Call our offices at 832-529-1111 or fill out our contact form today.