Houston Negligent Security Attorneys
Legal help for victims of assault or harm from lack of security in Texas
When visiting another person’s property, you should never have to worry about your own safety, especially being assaulted or injured. If a property owner doesn’t have proper or adequate security on their premises, they can put their guests, visitors, and even their own employees at risk for attacks and assaults. These types of incidents can cause serious injuries and trauma.
The Houston negligent security attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help if you or a loved one were injured from negligent or inadequate security. We can put our network of resources to work to investigate what happened to you, how your injuries occurred, and who should be held accountable. Our legal team will work to secure the compensation to which you’re entitled for your injuries and losses. Talk to us today.
Your questions, answered
What does negligent security mean?
If you are the victim of a criminal attack, the owner or manager of the property may be held liable in a civil action if they had a reason to know of an unusually high or dangerous risk of crime and failed to take appropriate actions to protect individuals on their property from that risk.
What are some examples of negligent security?
Some of the types of negligent security scenarios that can lead to assaults or injuries include:
- Failure to take reasonable steps to monitor crime history and crime threat levels on the property and in the surrounding area
- Failure to have a security threat analysis performed by a qualified professional
- Failure to deter criminals through the use of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
- Failure to have functioning security cameras and failure to regularly review the security footage
- Failure to control entry and access points to the property, including proper and adequate fencing and locks
- Inadequate or broken lighting
- Failure to properly conduct employee background checks
- Lack of trained security guards and lack of clear site post orders for security guards
- Failure to provide appropriate levels of security personnel during times of increased crime risk
- Knowingly tolerating individuals habitually gathering on the property to conduct illegal activities which can create an environment of lawlessness and serve as a magnet for more serious crimes
Certain types of property owners should understand that some crimes are foreseeable and plan their security accordingly. Just a few examples of properties and premises that require proper security include:
- Banks and ATMs
- Parking lots
- College and school dormitories
- Apartment complexes
- Bars and restaurants
- Amusement parks
- Shopping centers
The Houston personal injury attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can talk with you about the details of your claim to investigate the circumstances of your injury, and determine who should be held accountable.
What are the responsibilities of Houston property owners?
Property owners have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to monitor the level of criminal activity occurring on their property and in the surrounding area and to take reasonable steps to keep individuals on their property safe from the foreseeable and predictable risks posed by criminals.
Property owners, hotel managers, landlords, and other responsible parties can take steps like the following to ensure the public’s safety:
- Installing security cameras to record activity on and around the premises
- Adding peepholes and locks to doors in residential and hotel properties
- Providing adequate and proper lighting in hallways, parking lots, and other high-risk areas
- Installing locking gates or fences to discourage trespassers and control entry and access points
- Providing trained and vetted security staff at bars, nightclubs, and events
- Implementing safe and proper check-in and check-out procedures
- Conducting proper background checks on employees
- Having qualified professionals perform a security threat analysis to identify and remedy potential gaps in security that could be exploited by criminals
- Using Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design to discourage would-be criminals from attempting criminal activity on the premises and eliminating the appearance of their property as a “soft” target
When they fail to put these types of precautionary security measures in place, and someone is injured or killed by a criminal assailant, property owners and premises managers should be held liable. Properties with inadequate or a total lack of security are a magnet for criminal activity.
How do I prove a Houston negligent security claim?
Not every property has the same requirements for security. For example, your neighbor’s house wouldn’t have the same security needs as your local market around the corner. And that market around the corner likely doesn’t have the same security needs as a downtown Houston nightclub.
However, when the attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm take your case, we perform a thorough analysis to determine the following:
- Was there a high rate of crime on the property and in the surrounding area and was the specific crime in question foreseeable and predictable
- Did the premises owners or managers take proper steps to make themselves aware of the crime risk on the property
- Did the property owners or managers have a security threat analysis performed by a qualified and trained professional
- Did the property owners or managers formulate a proper security plan to adequately address the specific crime risk(s) involved
- Did the property owners or managers take proper steps to execute and carry out a proper security plan to mitigate the crime risk(s) involved in light of the circumstances
- Should the property owners or managers have done more to reduce or eliminate the crime risk(s) on the property in light of the resources available to them and applicable industry guidelines and standards
- Were the damages and losses you or a loved one suffered as a result of a criminal attack directly caused by the failure of a property owner or manager to take adequate and appropriate steps to protect the persons on their property from an unreasonable risk of crime
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a serious crime, you may have a claim against the owners or managers of the property if their failure to properly secure the property caused or contributed to the incident. Our attorneys can explain more.
What is the value of my Houston negligent security case?
Although every personal injury claim is unique, the attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm take a variety of factors into account when determining the compensation to which you or loved one are entitled for your injuries and losses. We work closely with your physicians and other experts to explain to insurance companies or juries the true scope of your injuries – physically, mentally, and financially – to ensure you secure everything you need to recover and move on.
This compensation can include:
- Coverage of medical expenses, both current and future
- Wage loss and future earning potential due to your injuries
- Physical or occupational therapy, if necessary
- Pain and suffering damages, both past and future
- Damages for mental anguish and physical impairment, past and future
In some cases, a negligent security case may also include a claim for wrongful death. If you have lost a family member as a result of a crime, you may also be entitled to wrongful death damages as part of your negligent security claim including the following:
- Your loved one’s medical expenses
- Their pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Punitive damages, if applicable
- Court costs
We’re happy to answer any and all of your questions in a free consultation.
Is there a negligent security lawyer near me?
You can find The Kishinevsky Law firm at 6363 Richmond Ave, Suite 207, in Houston. We offer plenty of parking, and there’s a bus stop right in front of our building. If you are too injured or disabled to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or set up a conference via telephone or Zoom. We want to help.
Talk to our experienced Houston negligent security attorneys
The legal team at the Kishinevsky Law Firm are here to help if you or a loved one were harmed due to negligent security on another’s property. Our Houston premises liability attorneys can work to secure financial compensation for your injuries and losses, and help ensure the right people are held accountable for their negligence. We want to help, and our consultations are always free. Call 832-529-1111 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment today.