Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Skilled representation for motorcyclist crash victims in Texas
If you’re a motorcycle enthusiast, you know it’s a great way to travel when the conditions are right – the open road and freedom of a bike offers an exhilarating experience. However, the freeing experience that makes motorcycles so fun to ride is also what can make them so dangerous. The bike’s lack of an exterior frame and stability that other vehicles provide can cause severe injury to a motorcyclist when involved in an accident.
If you or a loved one were injured in a Houston motorcycle accident, the attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can provide experienced guidance. Our personal injury lawyers understand how to handle these often-complex cases, and can work with you to find how and why your accident happened. Clients across Houston often turn to us when injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault, and we’re ready to help you recover the compensation to which you are entitled for your injuries and losses.
Your questions, answered
- How often do motorcycle accidents happen in Texas?
- What are common causes of Houston motorcycle accidents?
- What kinds of injuries happen in motorcycle accidents?
- What are Texas motorcycle helmet laws?
- Who is liable for my Houston motorcycle accident?
- What’s the value of my motorcycle accident case?
- Is there a motorcycle accident lawyer near me?
How often do motorcycle accidents happen in Texas?
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports that an average of one motorcyclist dies on Texas roads every day. They also note that, in 2020, 482 motorcyclists died and 1,856 suffered serious injuries. The TxDOT reports that more than half of fatal motorcycle accidents happen from collisions with other vehicles.
TxDOT Executive Director James Bass told Spectrum News in 2021:
May through October is an especially dangerous period for motorcyclists in Texas. Of all the motorcyclist deaths in Texas during 2020, more than 61% happened in that period. It’s so important to remember that these motorcyclists don’t have the same protections that drivers in vehicles have, and that’s why we’re urging all motorists to stay watchful and alert when traveling alongside motorcycles so everyone can reach their destination safely.
Spectrum also notes that nearly one-third of motorcycle fatalities in Texas happen in or near intersections, typically due to drivers failing to notice or yield to a motorcycle.
What are common causes of Houston motorcycle accidents?
As Bass noted above, the majority of motorcycle accidents occur due to the negligence of other drivers. Some of the top causes of these accidents include:
- Failure to yield. If a car or truck driver doesn’t follow traffic signals, or simply doesn’t look before proceeding into an intersection, failing to yield right of way to a motorcyclist can lead to tragic collisions.
- Left-hand turns. Making left turns is another major cause of accidents. Drivers may misjudge a motorcycle’s distance and turn left, cutting them off; or a driver may not notice a bike’s turn signal and collide with it.
- Speeding and reckless driving. Speeding can turn a minor accident into a deadly one, as high-speed crashes can eject a rider from their motorcycle, causing severe or fatal injuries. Reckless and aggressive drivers may not notice motorcyclists if speeding or weaving in and out of traffic.
- Drunk or impaired driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is dangerous for anyone on the road, but can be even more dangerous for motorcyclists. Impaired drivers may not even notice a motorcycle, which can cause a tragic accident.
The Houston attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm understand that injuries from motorcycle crashes can be catastrophic and life-altering. We work to show insurance companies and juries the full extent and cost of your injuries, and how they have affected your life every day since the accident.
What kinds of injuries happen in motorcycle accidents?
Motorcycles provide very little protection to riders and passengers in the event of a collision with another vehicle or object. As a result, injuries to motorcyclists tend to be severe. These can include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Road rash
- Burn injuries
- Severe lacerations or puncture wounds
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage or bleeding
- Wrongful death
These types of injuries can cause a huge amount of physical, emotional, and financial stress on an accident victim and their family. Our Houston attorneys work to make things right.
Related: What Are the Most Serious Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Accidents?
What are Texas motorcycle helmet laws?
In Texas, you must wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle if you are under 21 years old. The TxDOT recommends always wearing one for safety, but they are optional if you are over 21 and have completed a safety course and/or have proper insurance coverage.
Who is liable for my Houston motorcycle accident?
The liable party is the party that caused your injuries. Typically, this would be the negligent motorist who caused the accident that injured you. In some circumstances, however, there may be other liable parties, like:
- Construction companies, if construction debris or conditions in a work zone caused the accident
- Trucking companies, if a commercial truck driver caused the accident
- Motorcycle or vehicle manufacturers, if a defective part caused the accident
The legal team at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can investigate all aspects of your accident to determine each and every liable party.
What’s the value of my motorcycle accident case?
Because every client, every accident, and every case is unique, so is the value of every case. When negotiating with insurance companies or fighting for you in court, we use a variety of factors when determining the amount of financial compensation to which you’re entitled. In a successful Houston motorcycle accident injury case, compensation generally includes:
- Coverage of medical expenses, both current and future
- Wage loss and future earning potential due to your injuries
- Physical or occupational therapy, if necessary
- Pain and suffering damages, both past and future
- Damages for mental anguish and physical impairment, past and future
Our attorneys also seek punitive damages in cases of gross or intentional negligence and recklessness. We can explain more about this in your free consultation.
Is there a motorcycle accident lawyer near me?
The Kishinevsky Law firm is located at 13831 Northwest Fwy., Suite 312 in Houston. We offer plenty of parking, and there’s also a bus stop right in front of our building. If your injuries are too severe to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or meet with you via telephone or Zoom. We’re here for you.
Talk to our Houston motorcycle accident attorneys today
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, the attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help make things right. We can go up against the insurance companies and negligent parties on your behalf while you take the time to heal from your injuries. Talk to us today about your potential case. Our consultations are always free. Get in touch with us by calling 832-529-1111 or filling out our contact form.