Houston Construction Site Accident Attorneys
Legal help for construction workers injured on the job in Texas
Any worker in any profession is at risk of injury, but those in certain industries – like construction – face unique hazards every day. Construction workers face adverse weather, heavy machinery, power tools, and performing their jobs in dangerous situations, putting themselves at a far higher risk of accidents and injuries than employees in other types of industries and sectors.
Although construction work is tough work, it shouldn’t be unsafe. Federal safety standards exist to keep workers safe on the job, prevent accidents before they happen, and protect employees in the event they do suffer injury. The Houston construction site attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm are here to help workers when injured as a result of employer carelessness and negligence. We want to help you get your medical bills paid and secure compensation for your losses. Talk to us today.
Your questions, answered
- How often do construction accidents happen in Texas?
- What are common causes of construction site accidents?
- What are the “Fatal Four” in construction?
- What are common injuries from Houston construction site accidents?
- Who is liable for my Houston construction site accident?
- Is there a construction site accident lawyer near me?
How often do construction accidents happen in Texas?
Construction workers face a variety of risks on the job, and accidents can often be catastrophic or fatal. According to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), 2020 saw 469 fatal occupational injuries in Texas (out of a nationwide 4,764). Further, the TDI reports, “Between the public and private sectors, the construction industry had the highest number of fatalities with 127 incidents. This is 27% of all fatalities in Texas (see Figure 1) — an increase of four incidents and up from 20% of all fatalities in 2019.”
In another analysis, the TDI reported 11,700 nonfatal injuries and illnesses in the state’s construction industry. This translates to an incidence rate of 1.7 injuries per every 100 full-time equivalent workers. For a five-day workweek, this is about 50 construction site accidents a day.
What are common causes of construction site accidents?
Due to the nature of the work, construction workers face a heightened risk of injury or even fatality on the job. This is why the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) sets mandatory safety standards for industries, including construction companies, to follow and enforce on worksites. When employers fail to implement or maintain these standards, workers can suffer injuries in accidents like:
- Falls from heights
- Explosions and fires
- Electrical accidents
- Collapsed scaffolding
Many construction workers are entitled to Texas workers’ compensation benefits when injured on the job. However, in cases where an employer is not a subscriber to that insurance– you may be eligible to take legal action against the negligent individual or company. You should not be responsible for having to deal with injuries, pain, suffering, mental anguish, lost wages, and medical bills when you suffer a serious injury that was not your fault.
What are the “Fatal Four” in construction?
OSHA often talks about the “Fatal Four,” which are the top four causes of construction work fatalities.
- Falls, including falling off ladders, buildings, and scaffoldings. Falls from heights can lead to catastrophic and fatal injuries. Workers should always be outfitted with fall protection and safety gear.
- Struck by object, which can include dropped objects and tools, collapsing structures, and falling debris. These types of accidents can cause traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
- Electrocutions, often causing fatal accidents. Electrocution accidents can happen from defective or poorly-maintained materials, or working in poor weather conditions.
- Caught in-between, which happens when workers are caught or crushed in equipment or in a collapsing structure. This accounts for a great deal of catastrophic and fatal construction site injuries.
The Fatal Four are so common on construction sites, OSHA provides training to construction companies on how to teach employees about these hazards and related safety information.
What are common injuries from Houston construction site accidents?
In addition to the Fatal Four, construction site workers can experience a wide variety of other injuries. Accidents from trench collapses to truck accidents to explosions can cause severe physical trauma like:
The Houston personal injury attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can investigate who or what caused your accident, and work to hold the right parties liable for your injuries and losses.
Who is liable for my Houston construction site accident?
In some cases, a personal injury claim may be more appropriate than a workers’ compensation claim for your construction site accident. This is also the case if your employer was not a subscriber to workers’ compensation. The legal team at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can explain more, but potential liable parties for your construction site accident claim can include:
- The construction company. If your employer or supervisor fails in their duty to follow OSHA safety standards and you suffer serious injury as a result, they could be held liable for your losses.
- Equipment and tool manufacturers. Construction workers depend on a variety of tools and machines to get their jobs done. If these malfunction in any way and you’re injured, you may file a claim under product liability law.
- Third parties. If your injuries were a result of a careless co-worker, contractor, careless driver, or other negligent party, you may be able to file both a workers’ compensation claim and a personal injury claim. Our attorneys can explain this in more detail.
In the tragic event your loved one lost their life in a construction accident, our Houston attorneys are ready to bring a wrongful death claim forward on your behalf.
Is there a construction site accident lawyer near me?
You can find The Kishinevsky Law firm at 6363 Richmond Ave, Suite 207, in Houston. We offer plenty of parking, and there’s a bus stop right in front of our building. If you are too injured or disabled to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or set up a conference via telephone or Zoom. We want to help.
Reliable Houston construction site accident attorneys
When you work with the Kishinevsky Law Firm, you get personal attention. We understand you’re trying to recover from an injury and get back to work so you can start earning a paycheck again. We want to help. Contact our Houston construction site injury attorneys today for informed legal advocacy. Our consultations are always free. Call 832-529-1111 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment today.