Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Legal advocacy for Texans injured in accidents caused by impaired drivers
There are a lot of dangerous driving behaviors, and drunk driving is certainly one of them. It’s also illegal, which means every drunk driving accident in Texas is an entirely preventable one. When you or your family are injured in a crash caused by an impaired driver, you have legal options when it comes to seeking damages.
The Kishinevsky Law Firm represents individuals who have been injured in accidents with drunk and impaired drivers. Our Houston personal injury attorneys work to prove fault and ensure you’re compensated for your injuries and losses, as well as pain and suffering for your needless trauma. If you or a loved one were harmed by a drunken driver’s actions, call us today for a free consultation. We want to help.
Your questions, answered
- How common are drunk driving accidents in Houston?
- What types of injuries result from drunk driving accidents?
- What’s the difference between criminal and civil drunk driving trials?
- Who is liable for my Houston drunk driving accident injury?
- How can a Houston drunk driving accident attorney help?
- Is there a drunk driving accident lawyer near me?
How common are drunk driving accidents in Houston?
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 2020 saw a total of 23,157 driving while intoxicated (DWI) crashes in Texas. These DWI crashes caused 1,024 deaths, 2,169 situations resulting in suspected serious injuries, 5,666 suspected non-incapacitating injuries, and 5,841 possible injuries.
A significant portion of these DWI accidents happened in the greater Houston area. In 2020:
- Harris County had 3,544 DWI crashes, 132 resulting fatalities, 235 suspected resulting serious injuries, 609 suspected non-incapacitating resulting injuries, and 974 possible resulting injuries
- Montgomery County had 377 DWI crashes, 12 resulting fatalities, 38 suspected serious injuries, 95 suspected non-incapacitating injuries, and 84 possible resulting injuries
- Fort Bend County had 256 DWI crashes, 9 resulting fatalities, 39 suspected serious injuries, 60 non-incapacitating injuries, and 52 possible injuries
- Galveston County had 313 DWI crashes, 11 resulting fatalities, 23 suspected serious injuries, 69 suspected non-incapacitating injuries, and 74 possible injuries
If you or a loved one end up being one of these statistics because another person made the choice to get behind the wheel drunk, we want to help you by holding them accountable for their actions and your losses.
What types of injuries result from drunk driving accidents?
Drunk driving accidents tend to be among some of the worst types of car accidents, as an impaired driver can come out of nowhere and at a high speed. Injuries can range from severe to catastrophic to fatal, including:
- Broken, fractured, and crushed bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal injuries and organ damage
Regardless of the type of injury you or your loved one suffered, the Houston personal injury attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm guide you on the right legal path toward the compensation, closure, and justice to which you’re entitled.
What’s the difference between criminal and civil drunk driving trials?
Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs is a criminal act under Texas law:
- A person who operates a motor vehicle in a public place while intoxicated constitutes the crime of Driving While Intoxicated.
- A person who operates a motor vehicle in a public place while intoxicated and causes serious bodily injury to another because of that intoxication has committed the crime of Intoxication Assault.
So, because the person who caused your accident was likely arrested and charged with DWI, they may face criminal proceedings. However, these charges are brought by the state, rather than the victim or their loved ones. The goal of a criminal case is to punish the drunk driver for breaking the law and putting the public at risk. A civil trial, however, can financially compensate the victim for things like medical bills and pain and suffering.
Further, civil and criminal proceedings are separate, so you don’t have to wait for the outcome of a trial to begin filing your drunk driving injury claim.
Who is liable for my Houston drunk driving accident injury?
In most cases, the drunk driver is likely the party liable for your damages and losses, as they caused your accident. However, in some circumstances, you may also hold a third party responsible under Texas dram shop and social host liability laws.
Under the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, alcohol providers (like liquor stores or bars) can be held responsible if they sell alcohol to a dangerously intoxicated person and that person goes on to injure or kill another individual. The social host liability law is similar. It applies to anyone over 21 (including those hosting guests at their home) who provides or sells alcohol to a minor who then injures or kills another as a result of their intoxication.
At Kishinevsky Law Firm our Houston injury attorneys work quickly to preserve evidence in your case. One of the things we usually do ASAP is try to get a temporary restraining order to keep certain evidence that may be relevant and time sensitive from being erased, whether that's the defendant cell phone records, videos from the bar, or whatever else. This information can help us with your case.
How can a Houston drunk driving accident attorney help?
If you or a loved one were injured by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to recover both personal injury damages and punitive damages due to the gross negligence of the nature of these types of accidents.
Other types of compensation include:
- Coverage of medical expenses, current and future
- Loss of wages and future earning potential
- Damages for pain and suffering
- Damages for loss of enjoyment of life
- In cases of wrongful death, funeral and burial expenses
Punitive damages are capped under Texas law, but our attorneys can explain more about this in your consultation.
Is there a drunk driving accident lawyer near me?
You can find the Kishinevsky Law firm at 13831 Northwest Fwy., Suite 312, in Houston. We offer plenty of parking. There’s also a bus stop right in front of our building. If you are too injured or disabled to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or set up a conference via telephone or Zoom. You can count on us.
Look to our Houston DWI accident attorneys for help
Drunk driving accident claims can be complex, but yours doesn’t have to be. The injury attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm are here to make the process easier, more understandable, and provide you with the knowledge and the tools you need to feel confident about your case. Let us work with you to recover compensation for your damages and losses and help you move forward. Our consultations are always free – call 832-529-1111 or fill out our contact form today.