What Are the Most Serious Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Accidents?
There’s probably not one person who did not want to ride a motorcycle, at least when they were younger. Everyone is attracted to the thrill of riding a motorcycle. However, the reason some of us fall out of love with the thought of action-packed motorcycle thrills and the idea of a motorcycle on the open road is because of the actual dangers associated with motorcycle accidents.
The greatest threat that motorcycle riders face is sharing the roads with other car and truck drivers. When you have been involved in a motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to deal with insurance companies playing hardball and denying you the compensation that you deserve. The Houston motorcycle accident lawyers at The Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help you recover the compensation needed so that you can recover from your injuries and get on the road to rebuilding your life.
What makes motorcyclists so vulnerable in accidents?
When a car or truck is involved in an accident, the vehicle has a structure that can absorb some of the impact from the crash and protect the driver and passengers. As cars and trucks have evolved, additional safety features like airbags and crumple zones are now common on many vehicles and offer additional protection to the occupants of a vehicle to reduce the force of impact from a crash. A motorcycle rider, however, does not have that structure around their vehicle and does not benefit from these additional safety features. When they are involved in an accident, their bodies will take on the majority of the impact.
Compared to car and truck drivers, a motorcycle rider also has a greater chance of being ejected from their bikes, causing much more severe injuries.
What are the most serious injuries caused by motorcycle accidents?
The injuries from motorcycle accidents can be life-changing. Some of these involve:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Head injuries are some of the most common injuries that motorcycle riders can endure. One of the most serious head injuries includes a traumatic brain injury (TBI). When a person experiences a TBI, their brains and skulls have endured serious trauma. A person’s cognitive functions may be significantly affected, sometimes permanently, after experiencing a TBI
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs). Another serious injury that motorcycle riders suffer from are spinal cord injuries (SCIs). Spinal cord injuries happen from severe trauma to the spinal cord, which can cause severe symptoms, including lifelong paralysis in the worst cases.
- Broken bones. A serious collision can cause a motorcycle rider to break or fracture their bones. Some of the common bones that are broken from a motorcycle accident are the ribs, legs, arms, and the collarbone.
- Road rash. Another common injury from a motorcycle accident is road rash. Road rash is a serious injury that causes friction to a motorcycle rider’s skin. When the motorcycle rider’s skin collides with a rough surface, the motorcycle rider will experience a painful friction burn. The friction can be so severe that the motorcycle rider may require a skin graft surgery.
- Organ damage. Motorcycle riders can suffer organ damage when their body absorbs blunt force trauma from their accident. Because they did not experience any external or visible injury like a laceration or broken bone, they may mistakenly believe that their body is fine. However, internal organs can experience bruising or bleeding which may not be immediately obvious at the time of the accident.
What do these injuries have in common?
The majority of these injuries can be classified as serious or catastrophic injuries. that can cause a person to experience a permanent disability. The victims will rarely recover fully from these injuries, and may continue suffering severe symptoms for the rest of their lives in the worst cases. They may need prolonged medical care well into the future, possibly for the remainder of their lives.
What medical services are required for catastrophic injuries?
Some of the general medical services that victims with catastrophic injuries may need include:
- In-home medical care
- Wound care
- Pain management
- Prescription medication
- Medical devices
- Transportation services
- Personal care plan management
What challenges will I face in a Houston motorcycle accident claim?
Regardless of the circumstances of your accident, there is one challenge all motorcycle accident cases face: the negative reputation of motorcycle riders. Judges and jurors will assume that motorcyclists lives a dangerous lifestyle, and that their own negligence contributed to their accident.
Insurance companies will also play into this negative reputation, trying to use the facts of your case against you and insinuate that the other driver was not the negligent party. You should not have to worry about the insurance company’s tactics while trying to recover from your injuries.
When you are pursuing compensation for your motorcycle accident, you want a personal injury lawyer who wants to fight hard on your behalf. At The Kishinevsky Law Firm, our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers take a client-focused approach to your case. From evaluating the damages of your claim to gathering the evidence for your lawsuit, we approach each step focused on what will best help you reach the outcome you want.
We want to help. We focus on holding the right parties accountable for your injuries while you focus on recovering. Call our office at 832-LAW-1111 or submit our contact form today for a free consultation.
In April 2015, Leonid Kishinevsky started the Kishinevsky Law Firm, focusing his practice primarily on personal injury litigation. As a personal injury lawyer providing representation to clients throughout the greater Houston area, he assists people who have suffered economic and noneconomic losses and harms due to the fault of other people or companies.