Houston Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Skilled legal help and guidance for injured cyclists in Texas
Houston hasn’t traditionally been a bike-friendly city. Although over the past few years, the Houston Bike Plan has attempted to change that, cyclists may still find busy city streets a challenge. Even following specified bike routes and lanes, bicyclists may still find themselves forced to share the road with cars and trucks, putting them at a high risk for serious accidents and severe injuries.
When you or a loved one get on your bike to take a ride, whether to commute or just for fun, you obviously don’t expect to be involved in an accident. All the safety precautions in the world can’t protect you from a negligent, careless, or drunk driver. The Houston attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm understand the severity of these types of accidents and want to help secure compensation for your injuries and losses. We can answer all of your questions at a free consultation.
Your questions, answered
- How common are bicycle accidents in Texas?
- What are the most common causes of bicycle accidents?
- What types of injuries result from Houston bicycle accidents?
- Do you have to wear a bicycle helmet in Texas?
- What should I do after a bike accident?
- What’s my Houston bicycle accident claim worth?
- Is there a bicycle accident lawyer near me?
How common are bicycle accidents in Texas?
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintains a list of motor vehicle accidents, injuries, and fatalities each year. They report the following statistics for bicyclists for 2020:
- 2,170 total crashes
- 80 fatal crashes
- 726 possible injuries
- 285 suspected serious injuries
- 917 non-incapacitating injuries
It’s clear that bike accidents often result in injury to the cyclist, and very rarely cause injury to the motorist who hit them.
What are the most common causes of bicycle accidents?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports three different categories contributing to bicycle accidents:
- Motorist behaviors, like distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, breaking traffic laws, and other negligent and reckless behaviors.
- Non-motorist behaviors, like failure to follow traffic laws, lack of awareness of traffic, and alcohol or drug impairment.
- Infrastructure issues, like inadequate bike lanes or signage, traffic too close to cyclists, lack of lighting, or badly-maintained roadways.
Our Houston attorneys can help determine the cause of your accident and hold the responsible party accountable for their actions.
What types of injuries result from Houston bicycle accidents?
Even when wearing a helmet, cyclists often experience catastrophic and life-altering injuries in bike accidents, like:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head, neck, and back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Spinal cord injuries
Our attorneys also understand victims may experience emotional and psychological trauma after a serious accident. We can work with your doctors and medical team to assess the full extent of your injuries.
Do you have to wear a bicycle helmet in Texas?
Texas currently has no bike helmet laws on the books, meaning anyone of any age can ride a bike without a helmet. However, within the Houston City Limits, children under age 18 are required by law to wear a helmet.
What should I do after a bike accident?
After a Houston-area bicycle accident that wasn’t your fault, you or your loved one may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. Recovering this compensation can be challenging, but you can improve your chances for a successful case by gathering as much evidence as you can. If you’re able to do so, try to collect the following after your accident:
- Photos of your bike, of the vehicle or road condition that caused your accident, positions of both at the scene, and your injuries
- Note any potential locations of video surveillance cameras at the scene
- Contact information from eyewitnesses
- Contact information and insurance information from the driver
- Information to get a copy of the official police report
Remember, however, your first priority should always be receiving medical care for your injuries. With the initial adrenaline of an accident, at first you may not realize you’re injured. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after your accident can help catch a serious injury before it worsens, and shows the insurance company a link between the crash and your injuries.
What’s my Houston bicycle accident claim worth?
After a serious accident and injury, you may be worried about how you’ll pay your medical bills, when you’ll be able to get back to work, and if your life will be the same going forward. The attorneys here at the Kishinevsky Law Firm can work with you to determine the full scope of your injuries and help you figure out how to move forward with getting the medical care you need and rebuilding your life.
After suffering a serious injury due to another’s negligence, you’re likely eligible for the following compensation:
- Medical expenses, current and future
- Lost wages and future earning potential
- Damages for pain and suffering, past and future
- Damages for mental anguish and physical impairment, past and future
In the tragic event your loved one loses their life in a bike accident, we can also seek to recover funeral and burial expenses on your behalf. We can handle this process so you can focus on family, healing, and the things that matter.
Is there a bicycle accident lawyer near me?
The Kishinevsky Law firm is located at 13831 Northwest Fwy., Suite 312 in Houston. We offer plenty of parking, and there’s also a bus stop right in front of our building. If your injuries are too severe to come to us, we can come to your home, hospital, rehabilitation center, or meet with you via telephone or Zoom. We’re here for you.
Talk to one of our Houston bike accident attorneys today
If you or a loved one were injured while cycling, the Houston bicycle accident attorneys at the Kishinevsky Law Firm want to help. We work to recover compensation for your injuries and losses by holding the right parties responsible and advocating for you throughout the legal process. Get in touch with us today to find out how we can work together on your claim. Our consultations are always free. Call our offices at 832-529-1111 or fill out our contact form today.